Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter
PACE Center
Parker, CO 
September 13-16, 2012

Like many students, I read Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter in high school. It didn't seem like the most obvious subject for a musical, so I was interested in this production written by a local composer.

Since I have read the book, I suppose my reaction was colored by my interpretation of the book. Honestly, I was disappointed by the letter itself. It was a rather easy to miss, small patch.  I always thought the "A" on Hester Prynne's chest should be so eye catching you can't look away. It wouldn't have bothered me if it was made with sequins.

The story is basically what I remembered. Hester keeps the paternity of her illegitimate child a secret to protect her lover. Meanwhile, her cuckolded husband shows up to take his revenge. And the people of the Puritan town shun her as a result.

Arthur Dimmsdale, the saintly pastor, is just as I imagined him - tortured by his sinful relationship with Hester. His song "What Is Love?" is a showstopper. Hawthorne hinted that Dimmsdale suffered from chest pains, but left it up to the readers to decide what was bothering him. This show makes a choice for you and it wasn't the one I would have chosen.

The character of Roger Chillingsworth has been given redemption in this work. Hawthorne painted him as cold and vengeful. However his character is more human in this version. While he is still bent on revenge, he clearly has a heart.

By far the biggest disappointment for me was the character of Hester Prynne. She always struck me as strong, almost haughty. This version was more like Cinderella, meek and accepting of her fate.

Hester's attitude toward the town was centered on her knowledge that everyone in the town sinned as well, they just hadn't been caught.  This is suggested by three characters just called "Different" who go into the woods and take their hair down. Their presence felt forced and too obvious.

The show had it's moments. The tenderness between Dimmsdale and his daughter Pearl were heartwarming. And the humanity of Chillingworth made the triangle more complicated. But overall, the show has obvious holes.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment