Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Shrek

Shrek
National Touring Company
Buell Theater
Denver, CO 
November 16-28, 2010

Like most people, I've seen the movie Shrek many times. I must admit I was surprised to hear it was made into a Broadway musical. When it came to town, I decided to give it a try.

The movie version relied heavily on familiar pop songs for its soundtrack. The stage production has a soundtrack consisting entirely of original music (with the exception of "I'm a Believer" for the bows). The new songs add a depth to the story which didn't exist in the original.

The show begins with "Big Bright Beautiful World" where we get some much needed background on both Shrek and Fiona. It's followed up by "The Story of My Life" which gives Shrek a deeper personality.  The script changes and songs allow us to see the layers he refers to.

The show is still just as silly as the movie. Dulac is much like Disneyland on steriods. Fiona's song "Morning Person" brings her character a humorous side we haven't seen before.

Lord Farquaad is still the man you love to hate. But you have to respect the actor who plays the character on his knees for the whole show. 

Personally, I think Shrek the musical is an improvement on the movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment