Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast
Colorado Ballet
Ellie Caulkins Opera House
Denver, CO 
February 19-28, 2010

I've never been to the ballet, but the Colorado Ballet's advertising campaign for Beauty and the Beast caught my daughter's eye and convinced me to buy tickets.

Since I'd never been to a ballet before, I was surprised at the elaborate sets used in the production. The seats also each had a small screen which occasionally brought up a plot description which was very helpful for following along.

Anyone expecting the Disney version would likely be disappointed. The heroine was named Belle, but other than that it was a completely different version, much more like the Grimm Brothers story. The dancing was lovely and very expressive. And the effect of a fairy flying at the end created a spectacular tableau.

The ballet was set in three acts and two intermissions. The second act was very short so it seemed silly to take another intermission.

The loveliness of the dancing and costumes and scale of the production impressed me. I'm sure I will be back to see another one soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment